Safe Use of Pesticides (Insecticides) PA1 & PA6
Complying with The Sustainable Use of Pesticides Directive (SUD)
The Sustainable Use of Pesticides Directive (SUD) establishes a framework for European Community action to achieve the sustainable use of pesticides by setting minimum rules to reduce the risks to human health and the environment that are associated with pesticide use.
A professional user is any person who applies/sprays professional use products, regardless of quantity or method of application, including operators, technicians, employees and self-employed people, both in the farming and Pest Control sectors.
In a cross compliance inspection by relevant Government Departments in Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland you may be required to produce evidence of having completed appropriate training or a certificate of competence in accordance with the SUD.
In order to register as a professional user, you are required to have formal training in the safe use and application of pesticides/insecticides. Experience alone or having a PMU or RSPH Level 2 Award in Pest Management alone does not qualify an individual to register.
Certificate of Competence is known as holding the PA1 + PA6 – Handheld Sprayer.
· Legislative requirements
·Basics of spray application
· Hygiene and personal protective equipment
· The working principles of a knapsack or Pest Control insecticide hand held equipment.
· Preparation of the applicator for work
· Calibrating a knapsack OR handheld applicators
· Mixing, filling and site work (Environmental Risk Assessments considering Water course risks)
· Calibration – concentration method
· Decontamination, tank washing, and storage.
· Practical Demonstration
·Preventing Environmental pollution Hazards
Delivered over 3 days
Course will run on a minimum of 6 candidates
Expert Training includes:
Learning resources (provided at no extra cost)